5 tips for planning your ‘race-cation’ with Alaska Airlines
Hardcore runners travel with the goal of completing a race, and then flying home. But what’s the fun in that? How about traveling to an amazing destination with the goal of having a great vacation – with a little running on the side?
5 tips for planning your racecation:
- Book your flights to arrive a day before the race and stay for several days after. That way you can freely enjoy the destination post-race – while patting yourself on the back for your accomplishment!
- Don’t eat anything new the day before your race. Save the lobster mac-n-cheese and garlic frites for later and pack something easy on the stomach for your pre-race meal. Alaska Airlines offers a healthy fruit and cheese plate and other fresh, local food choices on board.
- Drink lots of water on your flights. Flying dehydrates and can leave you depleted. Many suggest eight ounces of water for every hour in the air.
- Plan your post-race day. You deserve a break – after all you just ran a half marathon! Plan ahead for your non-running travel companions to have something to do the day after the race, so you can put your feet up.
- Pack comfy shoes along with your running shoes. Walking around in sandals will be much easier on the blistered heels and sore toes.